Monday, May 2, 2011

Family

My 38 page paper is finally finished and the only schoolwork left is our community presentation which I used to think was a big deal, but now not so much.  I can’t seem to wrap my mind around the fact that the program is ending so quickly.  I’ve been spending endless hours with my favorite munchkins, and watching cartoons in the house down the street with my new family.  I’ve been staying up way past my bedtime and doing ridiculous things like hiking up hills for sunrises in order to try and postpone leaving.  It’s like the second to last day of camp where you are super excited for trip day but never want the last day to come.  I’m going to miss the people here so much.  I feel like I have a whole new family of love and support between my SFS students and staff in both Kenya and Tanzania as well as my family here in Rhotia.  I’ve been giving out my email but I’m scared that keeping in touch will only be a saying.  I have this feeling of trying to not think about it, but at the same time being the thing I base all of my actions off of…leaving.  I don’t want to go but it comforts me to know that I will back, probably sooner than I imagine.  I can’t go too long without seeing these people again, breathing this air, being embraced into this culture, or called a mzungu everywhere I go.  I can’t do it, so I’m hoping some of you will join me next time I come back.  So you can see the beauty of this place, understand the simplicity and joy, and yet feel empowered to do just about anything.  I don’t know how you did it Africa, but you did.  You made me the person I’ve always wanted to be and I can certainly say that I will never ever forget you.  And to my new family, I hope we can keep in touch forever! 



1 comment:

  1. I will miss seeing your Laughrica posts and knowing that I had a treat in store when I opened them up to see what wonderful things you had to share! Katie knows exactly how you feel as she now has family in El Salvador and she was able to go back (three years later) and see everyone; they were so excited that she was coming. It will be the same for you...they will not forget you and will be so excited that you want to be back with them again!

    ReplyDelete