Thursday, April 28, 2011

Munchkin playtime

Sorry for the lack of updates.  Once upon a time this thing called Directed Research came into my life and I have spent the last 3 days trapped in a classroom, eating, sleeping, working, the whole deal.  I had to analyze immense amounts of data with the rest of my WE group and then write an official scientific paper about it with the abstract through conclusion and even acknowledgements section.  So needless to say, not the happiest person the last few days and stress levels were high but I made it through and handed in my draft which I’m supposed to be getting back tomorrow. 

But, on to the fun stuff!  So every day at 5:30 Tanzanian time (aka any time in the late afternoon after school) I have this thing called munchkin playtime.  I go down the street and really find just about any kid that’s around and usually 4-10 more join in once they find out a Mzungu has come to play. We play Mambo Mambo Poa (duck duck goose) most of their time because that is their favorite game but recently we have taken on Mpira (some form of soccer) and other games.  It’s my favorite time of day and recently I’ve been invited into their homes which are beautiful and all the mamas are so welcoming.  Usually I just say “Hodi!”(can I come in?) Ninataka kucheza na watoto (I want to play with kids).  Then they say “Karibu” (welcome) and hand them over to me.  I tell them “Nitaroudi baadaye” (I’ll come back later) and take their kids off into the distance.  I have to remember that this would be totally creepy and police worthy in the U.S. but for now, it’s the most fun thing ever!  I normally don’t bring my camera cuz the kids get crazy and all want to see it, but we were coming back from town and I decided to take a couple pictures and let the mama take a few, but here are some of my favorites….Now you can virtually participate in munchkin playtime!






No comments:

Post a Comment