Thursday, April 21, 2011

Call me crazy

There is this traditional healer in Tanzania named Ambilikile Mwasapile who is offering a medicine that he claims to cure many diseases from diabetes (type 1 vs 2 not distinguished) to AIDS, blood pressure, and cancer.  The medicine is the same for all diseases but it has to be administered from the healer himself.  It only costs 500 Tanzania shillings (30 cents), however the conditions to see him are strenuous.  He is so popular that people are flocking from around the globe and it takes about 3-5 days to see him right now and the line has no food, water, or restrooms, and is generally unsanitary as the average land cruiser is packed with 10-15 people.

Now before I came here I would have thought this whole thing was absurd and ridiculous and even though I love ridiculous there is absolutely no way I would have done it.  I'm pretty confident that most of you would feel the same way and to be honest I will be shocked if I don't get a couple "this is crazy, it won't work, don't do it" emails after this.  But since being here I have learned so much about hope and confidence that it seems absurd not to try.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm not at summer camp where diabetes is totally cool and normal, or if it's because of huge diabetes burnout.  But right now, sitting in these conditions for 4 days to even have a chance of being diabetes free seems like the logical thing to do.  Plus, it would be an amazing experience and I would learn so much from it.  Everyone from the people in my cruiser to the healer himself will teach me so much about life that I would do it even without the possible cure.

I realize that the word crazy does not even begin to define it in your mind and believe me I'm still a little shocked as well.  I don't know what is sparking my interest and if it is even related to me living here for 3 months, but it just feels right.  I have this gut feeling that something good will come out of it.  I'm not sure what that will be, whether it be new friends, a realization about how wonderful life is, a cure, or simply an epic story for later in life.  But I know it will be something, just not sure what yet.

Oh and for all of you worry warts, don't panic.  Because I will be bringing enough food and water and juice boxes for two weeks and one of my friends from here will be coming with me for the experience.  Also, word on the street is that it only takes a day now to do the trip.  So things are already looking good.  Yes, hand sanitizer will be involved and masks will be worn and with effective planning I really feel as though this could be one of the best things I have done....ever.                  

3 comments:

  1. wait please elaborate on this if you ended up doing it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My curiosity is completely peaked - what happened when you went to see the healer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAAH sorry I never wrote about this. The government actually stopped allowing people go to him for the past month because it was a huge safety issue with the number of people waiting in line with no resources (food, water, bathroom, etc.) So they put a one month recess in order to hopefully prevent things from happening (people were dying waiting in line). So unfortunately during the time I was traveling he was not accepting people... :-(

    ReplyDelete