Saturday, April 16, 2011

Baby Love

Today we had a non-program day and we spent the morning helping paint rooms for the kids at an orphanage in Mto Wa Mbu.  The kids were on break where most of them spent time with their closest relatives so that the orphanage could be renovated.  We painted crazy flowers, animals, even some mushrooms with gnomes on the walls and I was surprised at how artistic everyone was.  However, to be honest I didn’t spend that much time painting.  I spent almost the whole time with this cutie in my arms.  Her name is Righteous and she is 4 months old and quite the diva already (note: the hoop earrings and pink boots).  I’m usually not that fond of babies due to the crying/fussy/wake me up at night factor.  However,  I may have discovered a new love for them.  But how could you not?  I mean look at that face…





Then, the rest of the day I hung out in Mto Wa Mbu.  I got a shirt made at the tailor, bargained for a Tanzania soccer jersey for around $6 (usually $12-15), and enjoyed chatting in Swahili with some locals. 

Also, side note:  I think I’ve been here way too long because yesterday they had a goat roast and I came back from a run to them slaughtering it and I didn’t think twice… just waved and asked how their days were.  Life back in the U.S. could be interesting.

3 comments:

  1. You look like a natural! Such a beautiful baby girl! "Happy Birthday Eve" to you! Hope your day is extra special tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious! I miss you mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belly raspberries...the universal technique for gleeful baby giggles. She is adorable.

    And Happy 21st Birthday!!! We hope you have an amazing day and love you and miss you beyond words!!!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete