Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Goals for the Experience

I don't normally set goals in life, I just kinda roll with it usually.  But I feel like this is a time where for the good of human kind I should set some goals.  It feels pretty weird to be doing this, but it couldn't hurt considering if I don't meet them I can simply just delete this post down the line and pretend it never happened :-).  So here they are...

1) Ride an elephant.  Ostriches are also acceptable.

That's enough for now. Just kidding.

2) Say hakuna matata atleast once a day.
3) Figure out whether atleast (at least) is one word or two.
4) Learn to run really fast like the Kenyans.
5) Name every elephant I see with a name that starts with J.
6) Be able to translate the swahili part of circle of life.
7) Hold a conversation with a native in Swahili.
8) Learn to not be so stubborn.
9) Dance in the rain (of course an African dance).
10) Actually keep in touch, not just say I will.
11) Become a professional photographer (aka take more than 25 pictures while I'm there).
12) Focus on the positives.
13) Call every baboon Rafiki until it starts talking back.
14) Don't be afraid to try new things.
15) Become pen pals with a native.
16) Learn more than just the material given in class from my professors.
17) Explore.
18) Be on top of the whole diabetes thing.
19) Let go of the American culture and embrace the new way of life.
20) Bring Wyatt Beard with me at all times.
21) And for the cheese factor...Make every day the best it can be and have the experience of a lifetime!

We'll see how these goals work out. It's gonna be trial and error or more like guess and check.  But my goal for tonight is to start packing for Africa.  After I go to the movies of course... eh, actually that goal can wait until tomorrow. 

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately number 8 might be really difficult for you... love you
    Also, i've tried to brainstorm J names for you...
    Jo-Jo, Joanna, James, Johanna, J-wow, Jeramy, Jose, Juan, Julie, Joy, and of course...Justine

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really hope you name one of those elephants "julia"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theses have to be some of the best goals I've ever seen!! Good luck on accomplishing them. I can't wait to here all of the stories. You're going to have an incredible adventure! I hope you all the best. I will miss you, but I know it will just be incredible. And yes pleaseee name an elephant Justine :) My personal favorite goal was #13. I can just tell this is going to be my favorite site for the next few months. I really hope you get to post things often! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These goals made my life. I love the lion king. Please let me know when you find Rafiki. Also, you should have watched a few episodes of "238092 kids and counting" with the Duggars, they have billions of kids with J names :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justine and Julia, you will be the first two elephants named...as long as they aren't ugly elephants. And Em, thanks I hope school is going well! Abby, I found Rafiki. He visits daily. I'm obsessed.

    ReplyDelete