Monday, January 31, 2011

First stop: London -> Second Stop: Everything I've Ever Wanted


 The past two days have been exactly like opening Sundays at camp. However, today was Tuesday dance night where the awkward attempts to make conversation, the laughing at things that you think are actually stupid not funny, the calling people by the wrong name, and the hesitance in every move have suddenly disappeared and the sarcasm, crazy pictures, and embarrassing facts about our lives have definitely appeared.  I am excited to say that I have two fabulous banda-mates, more on them later.  And that our banda name is the bush babies so I’m pretty stoked about that and a team handshake is definitely on its way.  But…lets rewind a bit.

London!  I actually slept on the plane for a couple of hours because I had three whole seats to myself but I was still exhausted and didn’t really feel like going out into the city during our twelve hour layover.  However, I knew I would be disappointed in myself if I didn’t so I took my 50 pound backpack into the city of London with about 15 other people.  For having no itinerary I would say we did pretty well.  We went to lunch, saw Big Ben, the London Eye, and an art museum (which as all of you know I could have done without…except for the fact that they stored our bags for free to give my shoulders a break).  We then took the metro back and chilled at the airport to prepare for our flight to Nairobi which was a little more crowded and hence less pleasant but I still managed to get a few hours in.  It was exhausting, but beautiful and a great chance to see somewhere I’d never been before.

Kenya!  Absolutely breathtaking.  Only a couple minutes into the 5 hour drive from the airport (aka civilization) to our camp…BAM! GIRAFFES!  Followed by cattle, goats, ostriches, zebras, and dogs.  But in case that wasn’t exciting enough I leave our dining area (also known as a chumba) and look to my right and what do I see? Yup, a baboon…no big deal.  Only my favorite things in the entire world hanging out in my backyard. 

I’m still very overwhelmed but extremely happy to have this incredible opportunity and also very sleepy.  But tomorrow we are going into town to go to the market and somehow I agreed to go running at 6:15 tomorrow morning.  And to leave you with one statement that our student affairs manager will tell us more about tomorrow supposedly… “Just stay in your bandas and in the chumba at night because we have had a lot of elephant break-ins recently and you don’t want to see that.”  

6 comments:

  1. I"m picturing an elephant break-in. they're all wearing black masks over their eyes and carrying large bags to fill with peanuts. I think it's awesome and I'd love to see that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ar- This showed up on my newsfeed, and I'm so happy it did. I had no idea you were going on this awesome adventure,but somehow, this does not surprise me at all :) Here I am, sitting in cold, snowy Storrs, CT struggling through a boring three-hour lecture, and now I'm reading your blog and daydreaming riding elephants with you in Africa! I hope you have the BEST time there, soak up every possible second that you can, I know you will. And just know that I'll be reading all your adventures dreaming that I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I opened your "laughrica' blog! It's amazing to hear about your adventures in Africa! Love you lots...Auntie Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you and miss you so much and I hope you are having fun in Kenya!! Please keep us updated A LOT! Again, I love you! Hakuna Matata!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abby!! The peanuts comment cracked me up! And Kay! Sorry I never got a chance to see you over break but thanks for posting! Have an awesome semester and try not to be too stressed! Auntie Lynda, thanks for keeping in touch! Miss you! And my Sierra Beara, I miss you way too much for my own good and I think my classmates are getting sick of hearing about the best little sister in the world...mostly cuz they are jealous. Don't worry, I'll continue telling them everything about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish this blog was like Facebook and I could like your comment!! My friends are sick of me telling them all about how amazing you are and how much I miss you too, and likeways, I'll keep on talking anyway. It lessens the pain of missing. Get ready for a video from mwa soon! I love you!

    ReplyDelete