Thursday, January 27, 2011

What if?

Thursday is officially over and so far I have packed my carry on.  Well, most of it.  I'm going to try and pull it off as a carry on and then use a normal backpack as a "purse", but time will tell how that goes.  With an absurdly long packing list from SFS I'm pretty sure my bags are going to be ridiculously large and there will be at least 2, possibly three thanks to the whole diabetes thing.

Speaking of diabetes.  I give large amounts of credit to anyone who has ever gone outside of the U.S. for more than a month and managed to be able to carry all of their stuff.  I just got my new silver Animas pump named Sylvia Jane and she will be happily accompanying me along with Simon the purple Deltec.  In order to make certain that I will not be returning to the U.S. halfway through the program because I cannot receive packages and most diabetes supplies won't fit in a regular envelope I am forced to bring an enormous amount of supplies... enough to last me 6 months for Sylvia, Simon, and good old lantus in case Sylvia and Simon decide to go to pump heaven together.  I really hope they don't.  Here is everything diabetes related that I am bringing, and of course it has to fit in my carry on incase the airline loses the bag.

 
Even with enough supplies to probably allow me to stay 3 years in Africa I still have many "what if?"'s going through my head.  For the first time I am actually getting a little nervous and finding it hard to just throw diabetes in with the rest of my luggage and call it a day.  Here are a collection of my "What if?" thoughts, some of which are sensible, most of which are not, about my upcoming trip to Africa.  And by upcoming I mean less than 48 hours away.  I need to pack.

1) What if Sylvia and/or Simon break?
2) What if my insulin goes bad with the heat?
3) What if I run out of low treatment?
4) What if I go into DKA?
5) What if I run out of syringes/pen needles?
6) What if I forget to pack crucial things when we go on expeditions?
7) What if nobody is interested in my diabetes?
8) What if I have a seizure?
9) What if I go low and nobody knows how to help?
10) What if my supplies are stolen?
11) What if I go through diabetes burnout while there?
12) What if I get frustrated that nobody understands it?
13) What if something happens that I know I could have prevented?

There are many more, even some non-diabetes related, but I didn't want to overwhelm you.  Any input from those who have been abroad before would be super greatly appreciated.  And on a completely different note, for all of you San Diego kids, welcome to New England's very own winter wonderland.  It's getting ridiculous, seriously.  We got another 20 inches last night.  Here are a couple pictures to make you so very happy to be where you are in nice sunny California.





Next time you hear from me I will probably be in Africa so I have no idea when that will be but I know it will definitely be between 7-11 pm because thats the only time the generator is on!  And as always thanks for all of your love and support on this incredible journey!

1 comment:

  1. Arianna! Thank you for sharing your experiences in your blog. I know the trip will wonderful for you! Don't worry about over packing suitcases. I have not been to Africa but in the pictures I've seen many of the locals with TRUNKS! Love from Texas, Kate

    ReplyDelete