Friday, March 4, 2011

Africa, you're perfect

Trees reflecting the sun,
Providing an umbrella of shade,
Hosting adorable vervet monkeys,
That distract me from my grades,
No lights to be seen,
Stars shine brightly in the sky,
Kids waving on the streets,
Every time you pass by,
Thatched roof bandas,
With pet lizards and rats,
Becoming very comfortable,
With charging elephants and rats,
Mommas constantly harassing you,
Everywhere you go,
It’s hard to play volleyball,
With thorns stuck in your toes,
Things that were never normal,
Are now no big surprise,
Elephants and zebras,
And your face covered in flies,
Hot showers are a blessing,
But they come with scary things,
Spiders, snakes, and beetles,
And other crazy stuff with wings,
Giraffes blocking the road,
It’s no longer a big deal,
My pictures that look photoshopped,
I promise they are real,
The brilliance of professors,
The kindness of my SAM (student affairs manager),
The cuteness of the kitchen crew,
I’m proud they are my fam,
Then there are the askaris,
Carrying machetes all day long,
Protecting us from everything,
That could possibly go wrong,
Elephants breaking in,
Black mombas taking a bite,
Baboons camping on your porch,
Or forgetting your flashlight,
Africa I love you,
I wish you weren’t so far away,
Time is going by too fast,
I want it to stop today,
Africa you’re perfect,
But I’m not sure exactly why,
Is it your beauty or your love,
Or your super tasty chai,
Thank you thank you Africa,
For inspiring me to be,
Everything I’ve ever wanted,
And for showing me that’s me!


And because I'm obsessed with kids, here is another lovely picture!!!




2 comments:

  1. very nice poem Ar...im impressed. and what is this super tasty chai? is it chai tea or some exotic african food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and creative poem. You seem to express that the more simple life is the more meaningful it becomes. Your blog makes me smile. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete