Monday, March 7, 2011

Oh Kenyans, how I love thee

The people here are seriously some of the most fabulous people I have ever met.  They live simple lives filled with more love and joy than I think my heart could even hold if I wanted it to.  Even with such little "western education" they seem so wise and ready for whatever life gives to them.  They are so welcoming that it would be almost uncomfortable if people in the U.S. were like that.  And they are proud, so proud.  I can't tell you how many times one of our cooks, Susana, has told me that Kenya is the best country (usually through song, hence why I'm so in love with her).  When we go out for interviews about human wildlife conflicts or conservation opportunities in the community people are begging to talk to you, to share their opinion.  And yet, one thing Kenyans are not afraid of is speaking their minds.  Some things they say would be totally unacceptable in the U.S. and at first took us off guard, but now we are so used to it that I'm pretty sure I'm catching onto some of it.  So I apologize in advance for any statements that may not seem "polite" in the U.S.  I've written up a couple of my favorite conversations over the past 5 weeks (still can't believe it, time is flying by).  These are just a few of the reasons why I love Kenyans, but I think you will begin to love them to by reading these conversations.

1.  Talking to a 20-year-old boy for an interview...
Me: How long have you lived here in Kimana?
Boy: I moved here about 5 years ago.
Me: Oh, why did you move?
Boy:  I was looking for life.

2.  Talking with a crowd of boys at the secondary school in Kimana...
Boys: What are those?
Me:  They are freckles.
Boys:  Are you sick?

3.  Talking with my host momma...     
Momma:  What is that?
Me: Oh its an insulin pump.
Momma:  Here, drink some chai.  It will make you feel better.

4.  Talking with one of our askaris (guards)...
Askari:  Is that a flashlight?
Me:  No, its my insulin pump
Askari: What is it?  A camera?
Me: No, its my insulin pump because I have diabetes.  It's attached, wanna see?
Askari: Ah, no that is too personal for me.

5.  Talking with the girls at the secondary school and Molly one of my classmates...
Them:  What is that???
Molly:  Oh that's a sunburn.
Them:  That is from the sun???
Molly:  Yes, I didn't put enough lotion on.
Them:  Does it hurt?
Molly:  Yeah, it hurts for a while but soon it will be better.
Them:  She must be lying, we are in the sun all day.

6.  While getting my hair done today...
Me: I would like little braids all over.
Lady: Oh no no no sugar, I put corn rows at the top.  It will make you look smart.

7.  While slaughtering a goat for dinner and talking with one of our drivers, Jackson (my personal favorite).
Jackson: Why aren't you going down there?
Me:  I need a break.  I'm a little overwhelmed after seeing that.
Jackson: Why are you overwhelmed.
Me:  Cuz its sad.  It was so cute and cuddly earlier.
Jackson:  No, its food.

And there are many more....but I can't think of any more right now.  Moral of the story: Kenyans are my new favorite and I so badly wish that all of you could be here with me because each day just keeps getting better.  Here are a couple pictures from our salon outing! Enjoy!

The classy salon...flies entertainment for free
The girls after our salon day

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the best read of the day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2 is pretty much my life. And I think those braids do make you look smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...are the braids designed to shorten shower time and deprive the rhino beetles of head to head contact? Love the colorful beads and amusing conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "no, it is food" ahahaha, he could be irish! ;) <3 you!
    -allie

    ReplyDelete