Wednesday, March 16, 2011

R.A.P.

Every night here at 7:30 right after dinner we have a thing called R.A.P. which stands for Reflection, Announcements, and Presentation.  The M.O.D. (Mwanafunzi (Student) of the Day) is in charge of turning the solar panels, ringing the bell for meals and class, and then leading R.A.P. after dinner.  Sometimes R.A.P. takes 10 minutes and other times it takes an hour depending on what people choose to do.  Reflection involves either asking the entire group a question such as favorite childhood memory, most missed food, best halloween costume, best friend stories, etc.  or just simply a thought on how the day went.  Then announcements are done by the professors and the student affairs manager and then the best part comes....the presentation.  It is basically whatever you want to do, some people show pictures of places they have been, others play games, some show funny youtube videos, and lots of other cool stuff.  But for my rap I asked my friends (shocking I know that I have friends here), Crossley, Rachel, and Joe to help me rap for my R.A.P.  So we spent the last two weeks redoing the lyrics of Empire State of Mind so that they applied to Kenya.  Obviously costumes and choreography were involved and it was one of the best moments here so far.  Everybody loved it, there was a standing ovation, and it even got a "Shem clap" (more on that later).  But overall it was just completely awesome!  I wish I could post the video, but the internet says no to that one so a couple pictures will have to suffice.  And now there is talk about making a music video with the whole group...I'll keep you updated on how that goes.




No comments:

Post a Comment