Monday, February 7, 2011

Can I find you an African husband?


          Yesterday we went to the local high school and got a chance to hang out with the kids.  It is a boarding school and one girl told me it is the best in the district (not sure if that is actually true).  We went for their sports program at 4:00 for which I originally didn’t really want to go (today was our free day so things are optional).  It was stifling hot and I had already spent the morning going on a nature hike and church.  The nature hike was incredible, my favorite things being seeing a zebra skull, being 30 feet away from a family of giraffes, and watching my professors identify species and age of animals by their poop.  And church was absolutely incredible!  So welcoming and inspiring.  The music and dancing was the best part.  They had an electronic keyboard which was dropping some serious beats and everyone was clapping and dancing along.  It was so fun!  The kids even had their own routine complete with a walk-on and walk-off that I loved. 
            Anyways, back to the high school.  So I decided to play volleyball with some of the girls and needless to say I wasn’t very good.  In fact, every time I touched the ball, no matter whether I hit it over the net or not, the girl behind me said congratulations.  Pretty funny.  Then after numerous giggles and whispers in Swahili one girl also said, “you’re killing us.”  However, they seemed to get a kick out of making fun of me so naturally I decided to give some sass back. 
            When I took a break I decided to hang out with two girls and soon after I had about 10 kids tapping me on the shoulder asking me my name and wanting to know how I was.  They wanted me to sing a song for them and do a dance but after realizing that every song I know is completely inappropriate I settled for dancing.  After which they laughed their heads off.  At first I was a little annoyed when they laughed but then I began to just laugh with them and get into it J.  But here are a collection of conversations that I had during my time that I think you will enjoy.

kids: Are you married?
A: No 
kids: Do you want a boyfriend? 
A: sure 
kids: An African?
A: of course
Kids: oh we will be back.
A: ok, pick a good one

Kids: Why are you wearing a ring on your finger if you don’t have a boyfriend?
A: I don’t know.  I always wear it.
Kids: If you wear a ring on your ring finger it means you are married.  Middle finger means you are engaged.  Pointer finger means you are looking.  Thumb means you are divorced.  And pinky means you are widowed.
A:  What if you just have a boyfriend but aren’t engaged?
Kids:  It doesn’t matter.  That’s the same thing as being single.

Kids: Do you know how to break dance?
A: yea
Kids: Show us!
A:  I lied, I can’t break dance.
Kids:  Yea, I didn’t think so.

Kids:  Sing us a song!
A: Ok, which one?
Kids: It doesn’t matter.  Whichever one you want.
A (start doing the hokie pokie)
Kids: No wonder you don’t have a boyfriend.

       

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHA this is hilarious. I love kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite line, "no matter whether I hit it over the net or not, the girl behind me said congratulations." HAHA. Smart cookies. Miss you!!! Sounds like your having a BLAST!!! ~CJV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...liking the sassy one with the sweater hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two more daughters to marry off, should I send them to Africa with a song in their heart? Keep on loving and laughing; I look forward to it; highlight of the day!

    ReplyDelete