Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lost in Africa

For a little intro I am displaying some of my very own photography.  I've actually taken 19 pictures total so that's exciting.  But they take forever to upload so here are some of my favorites.
Good morning Africa!

Just driving from the airport

The London Eye

Big Ben

I am well on my way of achieving my goal of being a professional photographer.  However, I am not exactly on my way to being any sort of guide.  Let me tell you a little story... 1) for your enjoyment and 2) for distracting me from listening to our little friend Mickey Rat gnawing at my banda wall.

Okay, so my banda-mate Ana and I went running this morning along the running trail.  We thought we saw a baboon, but then later realized it was a funky looking log.  We also took breathtaking pictures of Mt. Kilimanjaro and greeted some locals and their livestock with our new phrase "Jambo!" The moral of this part of the story is that you would think that after running the trail twice now that I would be able to get back.  

So we had an hour break after lunch when me and both my banda-mates, Ana and Brittany, decided to walk along the trail and look for wildlife and take some pictures.  We left at 1:20 knowing that it was half a mile so we would have plenty of time to be back for our very first class at 2:00.  Then 1:50 rolled on and we started walking a little faster thinking that we had just passed the entrance and we would just complete the mile loop.  2:00 comes along and we are still walking.  2:05 and we realize we are officially lost and late to our first class...excellent first impression.  We are seeing all these little huts that do not look familiar at all and petrified that some sort of predator is going to jump out of the tall grass.  I decided to make my own path and somehow they decided it would be a good idea to follow.  So we trudged through the grass (in flip flops) and finally out of some sort of miracle we made it to the chumba....exactly 23 minutes late.  Oh and let's keep in mind that I didn't have my notebook or a pen so basically I was a complete disaster.  But we walked in anyways and sat down and to be truthful I was actually pretty nervous that they would be angry.  But the main professor just  simply looked at me and smiled and said, "Hey, it's okay that you are late.  I'm on Africa time."  And I responded with a sigh of relief and, "Perfect.  Cuz apparently we are too."

Getting lost in Africa isn't so bad after all.  But this whole Africa time thing is going to be one of the best things that has ever happened.  I can just tell.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found your way :) Also, I'm the only one following you... creeeepppyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a follower, too! I jost can't seem to be able to post my comments! damn technology!!
    Monica Quintana

    ReplyDelete