Sunday, February 27, 2011

Rainforests in Kenya???


For our non-program day today we picked the option of going to a nearby town to see a different market and go for a hike to have a picnic lunch.  What they forgot to say was that this hike was going to be the most gorgeous scenery in the world.  It was like Lion King: rainforest edition.  Lush plants and a 20 foot waterfall makes for one of the most beautiful gorges I have ever seen.., not that I have seen that many really.  And of course all with some of the coolest people I have ever met makes it all the better. 

After the hike we traveled to a local AIDS support group.  Three women started this place after being tested HIV positive and it is really just an incredible place.  They offer test results for free and have regular support groups for those affected by HIV.  They not only provide education about nutrition and drugs but also emotional support.  What moved me the most was that one lady said her entire family stopped going to visit her in the hospital once they realized it was HIV and that she wasn’t able to come back to her community and her church no longer accepted her.  There is this huge stigma about HIV/AIDS and one of the main goals of the AIDS support group is to educate people and get rid of the stigma by talking with community members and even schools.  Seeing first hand just how much hard work and passion goes into this was definitely uplifting and inspiring.

But since I can’t get over how beautiful the hike was I wanted to share with you pictures which at least attempt to give it justice…

Beautiful corn fields
Hey there beautiful!
Waterfall, in case you didn't know

The group
Balance isn't my strong suit

2 comments:

  1. Your experience is awe-inspiring Arianna. It has inspired me to look for more out of my life and to search for a purpose in this world that benefits others in an amazing way. Thank you for being such a wonderful cousin by helping me to see that! I look forward to your blog every day and can't wait to see more about your time in Africa.
    Love, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arianna! I keep trying to post my comments but I'm so "Facebook challenged" I don't know if you are getting them or not. Your blog is absolutely awe inspiring! You've had me laughing hysterically and crying endlessly. You give me hope as I sit here in NH with 15 inches of snow and no green to be seen anywhere at all. Keep it coming--you are my hero!!

    ReplyDelete