Friday, February 25, 2011

Safari Numero Dos

Once again we ventured into Amboseli National Park and worked alongside the Kenya Wildlife Service to create a total count for the entire park.  We got to offroad which was the coolest thing ever and we pretty much thought we were gonna die sometimes.  We also had to push the car out of mud twice...to which I volunteered to "document" both experiences haha.  We got split up into sections of the park by vehicle and luckily my group got to go in the car with my favorite professor, Shem.  He takes approximately 9 minutes to respond to any sort of question and when I say respond I mean that he stares at you, rubs his arm for an awkwardly long time, half rolls his eyes and then says "ok fine".  It doesn't matter if it is a comment or a question the "response" is the same.  At first I hated it and was like can you show some sort of enthusiasm but he is really growing on me.  

Speaking of Shem... so a lot of people went to Club Kimana the other night but me and a couple people stayed back to catch up on work and chill.  So I decided to go for a walk on the trail around the camp right before dinner.  Since everybody else was either in the chumba doing work or at club Kimana I knew it was a safe time to be absolutely ridiculous.  So I was listening to my ipod, singing fairly loudly (and singing is most definitely not my strong suit), and occasionally busting out some dance moves...basically having a good old time knowing that nobody would see.  Promiscuous girl comes on my ipod and I hadn't heard that song in forever so obviously I start jamming even though it is totally not Kenya appropriate.  So I'm singing loudly and dancing and all of a sudden I hear footsteps coming up behind me.  I panicked and turned around slowly to see Shem jogging up beside me.  I quickly muttered Jambo Shem, Habari?  To which he answered... "Wow, that's nice. Ok fine. Kwaheri." and kept on running.  So obviously I was mortified and kept looking back every 3 seconds the whole rest of my walk.  I haven't seen him since but it could be quite interesting when he returns from his days off...but nonetheless he's my new favorite.  

Oh and so back to the Safari...here are my favorite pictures.  Enjoy!
Craziest thing ever.  A giraffe lying down!
Date night
Road block
Sad elephant, Happy elephant

1 comment:

  1. HAHA obsessed with your picture captions. And the dancing story. Bet he'll never forget you as a student :)

    ReplyDelete